Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Planting The Seed

Yesterday I shared a post about kiddie Bibles and I said I would follow up with some scriptures I do daily with my children. Currently, my oldest daughter, Suga Momma, is finishing up Kindergarten at our neighborhood school. Although I was not fond of the idea, I felt like this was an opportunity to trust God. (We will be homes schooling again next year!) So before she heads out the door I read the scriptures from my confession for my children aloud.

Daniel 1:4 Youths without blemish, well-favored in appearance and skill in all wisdom, discernment, and understanding, apt in learning knowledge, competent to stand and serve in the king’s palace—and to teach them literature and language of the Chaldeans.

I like to remind myself that my children are a cut above the rest because of the favor God has on their lives. As a result of this favor they are smart and talented.

Daniel 1:9 Now God made Daniel to find favor, compassion, and loving-kindness with the chief of the eunuchs.

Even when they depart into the world because of God’s favor on them, they have the favor of others.

Jeremiah 1:5 Before I formed you in the womb I knew (and) approved of your (as My chosen instrument), and before you were born I separated you and set you apart, consecrating you; (and) I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.

We all are faced with acceptance issues at one time or another, but I want my children to know regardless of how others may reject you sometimes God chose you. He knows you inside and out and He chose you for great works.

The following scriptures are scriptures I ask them to tell me what they think it means and why the Bible is telling us these things. They are great discussion points for children of all ages (I have little people but I’m sure bigger kids and teens alike can apply some critical thinking here.)

Proverbs 5:1 My son, be attentive to my wisdom (godly wisdom learned by actual and costly experience), and incline your ear to my understanding (of what is becoming and prudent for you).

Proverbs 10:1  A wise man makes a glad father, but a foolish and self confident son is the grief of his mother.

Proverbs 2:11-12 Discretion shall watch over you, understanding shall keep, to deliver you from the way of evil men, from men who speak perverse things and are liars.

Proverbs 20:11 Even a child is known by his acts, whether  (or not) what  he does is pure and right

John 13:34 I give you a new commandment: that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, so you too should love one another.

These are just a few. We have different memory verses around the house that we read over when we do daily task like getting dressed,  or going to bed and what have you. What are some of the scriptures you share with your children and what do they mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment