Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

Free To Be Real

It's Freedom Friday!  Today I want to speak to you about the freedom we have in Christ to be authentic. I'm still reading the book Your Secret Name and in the book he discusses the desire we have as humans to know who we are through our names. He speaks on given names like your birth name and another type of names...I call labels like fat, lame, witty, perfectionist and other adjectives. Some of us become self destructive running from these labels placed on us and some of us become superficial or over-achievers to create a name for ourselves or live up to these labels.

Well this morning I went to Reading Terminal with most of my Bees to meet my mother at one of my favorite places, Iovine Brothers Produce. During the commute I came in contact with the usual comments from on lookers like, "Do you have enough kids yet?" or "Stop while you're ahead." In all honesty it used to really shame me when complete strangers give me their two cents. I do understand that their opinions are based on assumptions based on what they see, but even knowing my truth it was embarrassing.  (my truth being: although my children vary in complexion they do share the same father, I can easily pass for thirteen, and I am married but  I never wear a ring.)

Thinking about the two things while at the park with the Bees, I was thankful that I know who I am in Christ. I no longer conform to this world and their standards based on appearance and the superficial. (Romans 12:2) I can be me and know that I am me for a reason and I know that the same me go through different seasons and tests to be a better me for the Kingdom.

I know a lot of people are dealing with acceptance from peers, parents, and community so your try being plastic to fit in. But I really believe that until you accept Christ and commit to living in the fear of God (according to His Word) acceptance will always be an issue for you.

The truth of the matter is we are spirit in a human body that is temporary. We all have this longing to belong and be accepted but instead of associating this feeling with spiritual longing and acceptance, we attribute the feeling to a human longing and acceptance and then we fall trapped to the lies of the enemy and all the trivial ways to try to fill that need.  These lies tell us we have to look like this, socialize with them, drive that, smoke this, buy that, sleep with them...and all the while the longing and becomes a crater and the more you try to fill it with these temporary, carnal things the more emptier you become.

So family, today I want to tell you: You are free to be real! God created you in His image to be authentic not a duplicate or a zombie mindlessly following the spiritual dead of this world. Through Christ we were quickened, made alive and through the renewing our mind in His word, we are transformed to a higher way of thinking and  life. My confession for today, But as for me, it is good to be near God... Psalm 73:28


I know from experience His words and my commitment to  praise will illuminate even the darkest nights. I choose to stay near God, because the world you are trying to impress being plastic will leave you when life gets hard but God...He will never leave you or forsake you. Be real, be blessed, and be a blessing.




No comments:

Post a Comment