Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Tale of Two Mothers

Being a mother is a BIG deal. There is a lot of responsibility and a lot of rewarding moments so I wanted to take this time first to wish you
  HAPPY MOTHERS' DAY! 
credit


Next I would like to encourage you on this motherhood journey from a biblical perspective. The first mothers I would like to glean from is mentioned in 2 Timothy. The scripture says Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lived in you also. For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands.

As mothers we can take comfort in know that the godly seeds we sow into our children with grow and strengthen them for generations to come.

Another mother I would like to glean from is to strengthen us and encourage us to press on. (Thank you Pastor Taffi Dollar for the word this morning!) Matthew 15:21- 28 The Canaanite Woman sought Jesus on behalf of her demon possessed daughter. The scripture said Jesus ignored her. But she continued. The disciples pleaded that he send her away. Jesus said, " I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel." He rejected her, but she knelt before him and prayed, "Lord, help me!" (simple, sincere prayer) Jesus said, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs." But she still pressed and responded, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table." Finally, Jesus answered, " Woman, you have great faith! Your request is answered." Her daughter was healed.

That is a part of motherhood too. Being challenged and suffering when your children are going through. But as Pastor Taffi shared this morning, as mother's we have to prevail and do what this mother did. We have to know where to go...Jesus. We have to worship and pray. Finally we have to speak faith, never giving up on our children.

I really appreciate you spending time with me on this special day. So to our biological mothers, our spiritual and mentoring mothers, and our mothers that left wisdom and love in our hearts but have gone on, I pray that you be celebrated, encouraged, strengthened. Your life is a ministry on the front line of this battle for Christ. You are special women that God trusted with His best. Be blessed and smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment